Wedding Day Fit Tips!
One fact I didn't share in my last blog post was that I am going to be a bride this July! Of course, all women want to look their best on their wedding day; and I am not exempt from this. In honor of my own special day, I want to share some of my best practices to feel confident on your big day! And yes, this is my plan as well....
#1. Start as early as possible!
- Depending on your goals, starting early gives you the best chance of success! I am giving myself 3 months to lose about 6 lbs. If your goal is weight loss, a healthy loss would be 1-2 lbs a week. If you are looking to lose 20 lbs, you could expect 10-20 weeks of work, being very diligent on your diet!
- Losing body fat and/ or toning up takes time! When we think of weight loss we often forget where that weight loss is coming from. If we aren't careful we can lose muscle as well as fat! Crash diets, fad diets and low calorie diets can all create a negative effect on your body, by burning your muscle as well as fat, and ending in a plateau. Give yourself enough time to lose the right weight and you will head into your wedding day looking lean and toned.
- Starting early gives you more room for mistakes. I know none of us go into a plan expecting to make mistakes, but fitness goals can be tricky. Eating perfectly, and giving all of your workouts 110%, isn't always an option. The more time you allow yourself, the more room you have for those days when life isn't going your way. I know my body, and I know I do not want to be 100% strict all the time, so I am allowing for a 1/2 lb weight loss weekly instead of going with a more aggressive goal of 1-2 lbs a week.
#2. Diet is key!
- Food will make or break your goals at this time! We all hear the saying 'food is 80% of the battle' but this is no joke! Not only is the right nutrition going to help you reach your physique goals, it will also help your skin, hair and nails all look fantastic for your big day!
- Eat fresh vegetables! Vegetables are ALWAYS a must, but if you don't typically add them in, now is the time. Vegetables not only help hydrate your skin, they also contain essential nutrients which help give you skin that natural healthy glow!
- Drink Up! Water is responsible for several essential processes in our body including detoxing, increasing metabolism and hydrating your skin, hair and nails. If your body is dehydrated you will struggle to reach your goals!
- Eat! Now is not the time to panic and start a low calorie meal plan. In order to reach your goal eating the right calories for your body is essential. Low calorie diets will only show short term progress, then when you cannot manage the diet anymore you will intimately gain back what you lost, PLUS some! Not to mention your mental state will be compromised. Low calorie diets/ low carbohydrate diets cause exhaustion and hormone imbalances, the last thing you want going into one of the biggest days of your life.
#3. Last month tips
- When you are 4 weeks out, cut out all alcohol, sugars and artificial sweeteners! If you haven't already done this in the months prior, it is time to get to work. Cutting these items from your diet can make a big change in your bodies ability to process nutrients, cut body fat and eliminate bloating.
- If you still have some leaning out to do, up the intensity! When you get to the last four weeks add intensity to your workouts, this will help burn off any excess 'fluff'. Add cardio and HIIT training with dumbbells, cardio equipment or even body weight movements.
- Sleep in! Sleeping is essential to a healthy body. Lack of sleep has been linked to weight gain, overeating, lack of energy, lack of concentration and depression. Spend your last weeks before the big day resting for ultimate health on your big day!
#4. Last & most important!
- ENJOY YOUR DAY!! You are prefect just as you are! Any goals we have before our big day are a small piece of the large puzzle. Whether you goal is to tone up or lean down for your wedding, or even the honeymoon bikini, don't let it overshadow the happiness coming from one of the biggest days of your life.